Thursday, May 17, 2007

Too Taboo for Yahoo?

This weekend I applied to participate in
the Yahoo! Publisher Network beta program.
Today they sent me an email confirming
my application and tips on how to better
my chances to be accepted into the program.
The email had a link to this web page.
The page includes guidelines for content on
pages that their ads can be shown.
This part got my attention:
We will not show results on pages that contain
problematic content or on pages with URLs that
refer to problematic content, including but not limited to:
  • Political, religious or charitable organizations, issues or causes
It immediately got my attention because
if you haven't noticed yet my blog mainly
deals with politics and religion. I thought to
myself, "Oops." I've been hearing from different
places that you shouldn't discuss politics and religion.
I can understand where there are certain instances that
this type of conversation is uncalled for because it is
impolite. But I just keep having this thought:
Why is it such a taboo to talk about religion and
politics?

I know when people discuss these topics they can
get heated real fast. Perhaps, the reason why these topic
lead to red faces is because we don't talk about them.
We avoid the topic like a plague (did I just say
plague... that can be taken as a reference to the plagues
in the Bible... and that might offend someone ... oh no!).
So when we are confronted about issues concerning
political or religious beliefs we don't know how
to properly address it.

I would like to let my readers know that I am not always
going to be discussing politics and religion in my blog.
Although, this is a personal blog and those issues
are dear and near to my heart and soul.
I also want to state that I try to write my opinions in
a tactful manner as to not purposely offend. Feel free
to challenge me on any of my stances and opposing views
are certainly accepted here.

Terry Ann

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

(did I just say
plague... that can be taken as a reference to the plagues
in the Bible... and that might offend someone ... oh no!)

I actually LOL'd on that.

So I guess they are saying that you can neither have an opinion on anything nor be productive.

- The Cat

Anonymous said...

very use full information. thank you.

Anonymous said...

thanks! seems faster at first look, hopefully it continues to function like this.

Anonymous said...

This is the coolest website and stories that i have ever read…its useful for me as im a lecturer and always motivate my students with these publised stories…thank you …and waiting for plenty more…

Anonymous said...

very use full information. thank you.

Anonymous said...

Cool post…can you tell me where Overlay.TV showed up on that list? We were trying, but also trying not to be spammy…

Anonymous said...

Very good article I enjoy your website keep up the great blog posts

Anonymous said...

=========================================================================================

Anonymous said...

Very useful list of templates…thanks for the compilation!

Anonymous said...

Great post, thanks for being humble and sharing. Didn’t know about the shared web host potential.. Good to know owning over a thousand sites..

Anonymous said...

Thank. It makes me feel great when I read all these stories. It helps me from hopelessness and make me more stronger to fly… thank… for everything. Love

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the article. I will have a link back to this information from our fresh blog. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say that it’s nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the first place that told me the answer. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the blog, it looks great. I am going to bookmark it and will make sure to check back weekly

Anonymous said...

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that this project is being shared online. I visited the museum for the first time last May, a wish I’d had for a long time- it was fantastic

Anonymous said...

I love it! Could perhaps be a tad more polished, but it’s far better than what we use at the moment, nonetheless

Anonymous said...

The proper files were still web web. I thought it was strange, and even after changing the group as your instructions said, there was no change in how this displayed in both putty and filezilla. However, I tested uploading to my blog and it worked like a charm! I am not sure what is going on with the group thing, but somehow it must have worked. I’m curious as to what the deal is with that. In any case, Thank you so much!