Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Dissecting the Campaign Web sites




Social networking, videos, pictures, online credit card transactions, and blogging all
at one place! One might think I am talking about the online world in general but no
I am talking about presidential campaigns Web sites. I believe this year has been
an innovative year for campaigning in the online world. Political campaigns are
harnessing the power of the web. For example, Sen. Barack Obama during
the second quarter raised $32.5 million, $10.3 million of it came through the website,
according to his campaign Web site.

If I didn't know better I would think these campaigns are being run by a group of
teenagers. Hillary Clinton's campaign made a funny spoof and posted it on Youtube
to get some buzz just like a self-promoting vlogger. Who would have thought that
busy politicians could be my friends but according to MySpace they are. And I have
the bulletins to prove it! Oh and Hillary has so much less pictures (94) on Flicker
than Barack (2,335). These campaigns are being run by people who realize that
word spreads much faster online than any other medium and if you want to reach
young adults you have to be web savvy. There is no doubt about it anymore: the
game has changed and you can't play the game unless you have an online presence.

One observation I do have is it seems that Republicans sites are less innovative
and flashy. That maybe because younger voters usually go to the Democrats and
the online users tend to be a young. Although, Romney does have 'MittWire' and
'MittTV' (complete with a program guide) but not to be outdone by 'BarackTV.'

Exit question: Which campaign has the best designed Web site?

1 comment:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

Barack, perhaps.

I went to a Barrackville Elementary and Middle School for 8 years.

I'm still not voting for him.