Sunday, July 1, 2007

Nothing New Under the Sun

My intention for this blog has always been a place
where I can express my opinions on the world of politics and religion,
which I have been doing for the most part. But I've been thinking does
this world really need another place where someone can spout their
opinion?

If you watch the news on television, especially in cable,
there are plenty of 'political commentators,' which makes me
ask what is this persons' credentials to go on television and be
an expert on this topic anyway? There is a huge list of political
blogs out there where visitors people can leave a comment. So
there are plenty of places where people can go to get different
opinions on politics and other topics. Maybe we need less voices telling
us what they think and more people thinking instead of talking. And the
more outrageous one's speech is the more they stand out among all the
voices.

The Center for Democracy and Technology calls the internet a
democratizing medium because it allows more access to ideas
and opinions. But perhaps the large amount of people expressing
their opinion actually devalues and lowers speech. It makes me
constantly ask, "Whose ideas can I trust and who is a reliable voice
on the topic?"

I am grateful that I have a place to discuss my thoughts and ideas.
I just hope I'm not adding to all the loudness and clutter.

1 comment:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

It is good that you use readable English. It gets old trying to decipher what half of the people online are saying.