Friday, September 14, 2007

USA Today founder says future of newspapers not gray




While in J-school there was a lot of discussion of the
future of newspapers. Will they survive when so many
young people are avoiding them? I think they will and
so does the founder USA Today, Al Neuharth. I know
he is probably a little biased. Here is a quote from an
interview
he gave to Forbes.com:

Neuharth: The slide in newspaper ad revenues and the
slide in newspaper circulation is real, but it is not as dramatic
as critics say it is. It is not exactly new. When radio developed,
many cynics predicted that that would mean the demise of
newspapers. When television came in, I was around and I
remember many cynics said that that was the demise of newspapers.
Now it's the Internet generation. So while I don't mean to make light
of it, I really am a bit amused how many obits are being written
following a pattern.

It's sad to say but as long as newspapers continue doing innovative
designs and big colored photos on the front page they will be just fine.

Exit questions: Do you subscribe to a newspaper? If so, which one?
What are some ways newspapers can reach a younger generation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Exit questions: Do you subscribe to a newspaper? If so, which one?
What are some ways newspapers can reach a younger generation?"

No, I do not subscribe to a newspaper. Why would I when the information I get is late and when I can get information online for free?

Newspapers will be dead, in paper format, once the Baby Boomer generation has passed. Newspapers will have to convert fully to online form, eventually.