Friday, October 12, 2007

Headlines 10-12-2007

Oh so many headlines today with so many controversial
issues.

Al Gore gets Nobel Peace Prize
- Last weekend I saw a speech
by Bjorn Lomborg
about his book "Cool It" on Book TV (I know
I'm need to get a life). He argues global warming is indeed occurring
but there are other humanitarian issues that should be higher priorities
because they save people right now. I know I'm probably over simplifying
his arguments but I like to keep these headlines snappy. " In the AP article
you will notice that Lomborg is quoted as stating, "Awarding it to Al Gore
cannot be seen as anything other than a political statement. Awarding
it to the IPCC is well-founded." Agreed.
One in 5 pregnancies worldwide ends in abortion- "Of the 41.6 million abortions
worldwide, 35 million were in the developing countries, and 6.6 million in
developed countries." The WHO study also found the legal status doesn't
deter abortions from occurring.
Atheists radio show goes national- Because really we haven't heard enough
of the atheists' voices in our media. Not in the book publishing world (see
Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Julia
Sweeny). There's no atheist talk show pundit (um, Bill Maher). There's no
fictional character's that are atheists in television (see House and Bones).
Oh so underrepresented really.
Let the flip-flopping allegations begin!- And we haven't had a primary yet!

5 comments:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

Al won. . .for some reason the Nobel just doesn't mean what it used to.

Heck, that'a means there's hope for me. Say, you wouldn't mind nominating my blog for the Pulitzer would you? Don't think one can nominate oneself.

I'll be more than happy to send your blog here to the Pulitzer committee.

(I think I need an aspirin)

Teresa said...

Jason,

Sure. You nominate my blog and I'll nominate your blog. Hey, how exactly do nominate someone for a Nobel Peace Prize?

Is it like applying for a law school?

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/nominators.html

Everything straight from the horses mouth is above.

I wonder if Regent University law professors are included, or are they shunned too?

Teresa said...

Jason,

LOL. Regent students (including alumni) are too bigoted with all their Christian talk for the world stage:)

Michael Beck said...

I don't see how they're going to get a following on an atheist show. Atheism isn't a religion; if anything it is a void of religion. So a show that speaks to only 3% to 9% of the country is doomed to fail if all they're going to talk about is not believing in God and why they don't.

But I for one am glad to live in a country where folks like Dan Barker have the right to go on the air with stuff like this.

Likewise I am thankful bloggers have the right to discuss it ad nauseum.