Thursday, January 24, 2008

Bono Confesses His Sins Against Mother Earth

Heh. Maybe I wasn't that off track when I suggested that environmentalists
shold take a few cues from Christianity. Well, it looks like the environmentalists
might have found a priest (pay attention to the religious language):
Having climate campaigner Al Gore round to your house is to open
yourself to a self-flagellating guilt trip, Irish rock star Bono confessed
Thursday.
Sharing a stage with the former US vice president at the annual gathering
of world movers and shakers in the Swiss ski resort of Davos, the U2
frontman joked that their friendship was a source of pressure on the
domestic front.

"He's been round my house and it's like... here's the recycler Al, you
know... I've got a posh car, but it runs on ethanol Al," Bono said.

Acknowledging that a career in rock music was not always conducive
to a green lifestyle, Bono compared a conversation with Gore to an act
of religious contrition.

"It's like being with an Irish priest. You start to confess your sins," he
said. "Father Al, I am not just a noise polluter, I am a noise-polluting,
diesel-soaking, gulfstream-flying rock star.

"I'm going to kick the habit. I'm trying father Al, but oil has been very
good for me -- those convoys of articulated lorries, petrochemical products,
hair gel."
Talk about major guilt.

No comments: