Friday, February 29, 2008

Evil Bush, Um, Not That Evil?

I know there are some of Bush's extreme opponents who have a
very one-sided sighted view of the man. He's bad and can do absolutely
nothing right. Last night on The Daily Show they mock the conundrum
Bush haters have when he does something, um, right. Shocka:



In the spirit of Bush not being pure evil. Singer Bob Geldof, who accompanied
the president to his trip to Africa, paints a more multi-dimensional view of a
man he strongly disagrees with in this Time article. Here's a snippet:

It is some story. And I have always wondered why it was never told
properly to the American people, who were paying for it. It was, for
example, Bush who initiated the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS
Relief (PEPFAR) with cross-party support led by Senators John Kerry
and Bill Frist. In 2003, only 50,000 Africans were on HIV antiretroviral
drugs — and they had to pay for their own medicine. Today, 1.3 million
are receiving medicines free of charge. The U.S. also contributes one-third
of the money for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
— which treats another 1.5 million. It contributes 50% of all food aid (though
some critics find the mechanism of contribution controversial). On a seven
-day trip through Africa, Bush announced a fantastic new $350 million
fund for other neglected tropical diseases that can be easily eradicated;
a program to distribute 5.2 million mosquito nets to Tanzanian kids; and
contracts worth around $1.2 billion in Tanzania and Ghana from the
Millennium Challenge Account, another initiative of the Bush Administration.
Here's another interesting quote from the Geldof piece:
At one point I suggest that he will never be given credit for good policies,
like those here in Africa, because many people view him "as a walking crime
against humanity." He looks very hurt by that. And I'm sorry I said it, because
he's a very likable fellow.

1 comment:

Esther Montgomery said...

Hello

I notice (on your blogger’s profile) that you are interested in poetry.

I’m wondering if you might be interested in entering my poetry competition?

I hope so!

Details are on my blog

ESTHER IN THE GARDEN

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Esther Montgomery
(P.S. It is for fun. I'm afraid there aren't any prizes!)