Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Syntax



"My syntax was poor." - Sen. Obama

Try again, Sen. Obama. True, it's not lying to say that there are some people
who are frustrated because of their economic situation. Absolutely nothing is
wrong with that. However, it wasn't only his syntax that was poor but his
reasoning. His reasoning was that small town people cling to religion, guns,
and anti-immigrant sentiment because of a lack of jobs. Well, that's assuming
a lot. He's assuming that people who live outside small towns and people with
good jobs don't "cling" to their religion. Studies after studies show that religious
people are some of the most generous financial givers
. So, I ponder: If it's
people who are more financially unstable that are prone to cling to religion
than where are all these religious people getting the money to donate so much
money from?

Also, for the life of me I can not figure out what he meant by the gun comment.
I can no way reasonably correlate gun ownership with one's financial status.
However, there's probably a relationship between rural areas and gun ownership.
If you live a rural area there's wide open areas to hunt. I'm willing to speculate
that is what he meant. That's what mainly bothers me about his remarks, they
were so broad that one can easily insert their own interpretations.

1 comment:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

I grew up in a rural town a few miles from the Pennsylvania border.

I think most people hunt for the easy cheap deer meat and it's a good way to get out of the house.