Friday, May 9, 2008

The Presumptuous Media



The day after the Tuesday primary I was commenting on a blog declaring that
the Democratic Primary was over, Sen. Clinton had lost! I was repeating what
I heard on the cable news networks the night before:



However, now that I've gotten the chance to think about it I think all this talk
about it being over is premature.

I'm going to defend her on this point: I think the media has been unfair to her by
declaring that the contest is over. Most importantly they have been unfair to the
voters who still have not had their say in this election. Simple truth is it not over,
neither has reached the necessary delegates. Also, there are still more people left
to vote. I'm not saying she has a good chance of winning because the pledged delegate
count and the number of super delegates flocking to Obama's corner shows she
doesn't. However, for news magazines and political pundits to declare this thing as
over is irresponsible.

The media shouldn't tell us when a candidate is done until the political process
has played itself out and in this case it just hasn't. Sen. Clinton is still in the race and
it looks like she has some wins in the future. Politico has a story of Lanny Davis,
a Clinton supporter, saying he thinks CNN has treated her unfair.

Exit question: If Sen. Clinton somehow manages to get the nomination, wouldn't
these news outlets look incredibly presumptuous?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exit question: If Sen. Clinton somehow manages to get the nomination, wouldn't
these news outlets look incredibly presumptuous?


Naw, they'll just say she stole the election like what happened in 2000 when they called it for Gore. Or was that in 2004 when they called it for Kerry. Or in . . .

- The Cat

Anonymous said...

Thanks for good stuff

Anonymous said...

You are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.