Monday, June 9, 2008

The Jokes Are Off Limits

According to this Reuters article, Al Franken now wants his jokes off limits.
If we take away his years of satire (calling it comedy is also off limits), what
else is there?

He also appeared sensitive when asked about his satirical career in an interview
on NPR. A quote from the interview:

I haven't spent the last 35 years just getting them to laugh; I've
been spending the 35 years getting them to think," Franken says,
citing his three New York Times best-sellers on politics. The books
are "satirical, but they tell the truth," he says.

These are the covers of his books:



I haven't read any of his books but from the titles they seem to be more
about attacking conservative media personalities than anything else. One
book has Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter and the subtitle is a spin on the Fox
News slogan. The other book knocks Rush Limbaugh. Truthfully, aren't
most of these people easy targets though? It's like me writing a book poking
fun at Bill Maher, MSNBC and Code Pink, it wouldn't require that much
creativity. The material would basically write itself.

I'm not sure if Mr. Franken was suppose to be funny or serious when he said
this:
One thing I've discovered is there's a lot of politics involved in
politics.”

I guess there's going to be a lot of moments like that during Al's campaign.

No comments: