Sunday, June 14, 2009

God-sized

In a very weird interview with young actor Shia LaBeouf, he seems
to be searching for something deeper but doesn't know where to look.
But in a Freudian slip perhaps he acknowledges where he needs to
look:
“I don’t handle fame well,” LaBeouf says. “Most actors on most days
don’t think they’re worthy. I have no idea where this insecurity comes
from, but it’s a God-sized hole. If I knew, I’d fill it, and I’d be on my
way.”
He admits he has a God-sized hole but right in the next sentence he says
he doesn't know how to fill it. Perhaps the only way one fills a God-sized hole
is to fill it with, er, God. Even the rich and famous have an instinctive need for
God.

Actually, the article starts with LaBeouf saying
"Sometimes I feel I’m living a meaningless life,” Shia LaBeouf says, “and
I get frightened.”
It reminds of Solomon who was rich and famous and found life meaningless.
Ecclesiastes 1:2-5
2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless."

3 What does man gain from all his labor
at which he toils under the sun?

4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.

Solomon ultimately meaning can only be found in God.