Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Does Miley Cyrus' Song Have An Agnostic Message?

I've become such an obsessive thinker that I can't let a silly pop song go.
I was listening to the song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus and I think for
the most part it has a good message. The message being: Stay strong
through life's woes. However one line in the song bugs me! Here are
the lyrics and I italicized the line that bugs me:
I can almost see it.
That dream I'm dreaming, but
There's a voice inside my head saying
You'll never reach it
Every step I'm takin'
Every move I make
Feels lost with no direction,
My faith is shakin'
But I gotta keep tryin'
Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb
I guess the line bugs me because I often hear agnostics and atheists say,
"Hey don't worry about the afterlife just live your life for now." It's such
a hedonistic way to look at life. Do what you want today and don't concern
yourself about "what's waiting waitin' on the other side." As a Christian I
believe wrong choices have consequences in the material and spiritual
world. And if you believe in the Heaven or Hell it does matter what is
waiting on the other side.

I guess one can argue that the song is saying: Don't worry if you don't
win all the battles, it is the experiences you obtain from those battles that
matter. I can agree with that in some respects. However some battles
people choose to fight and they don't need to, for example, drug abuse.

Update: I changed the title of my blog posting. I think people are misconstruing
what I'm trying to say.