Monday, August 31, 2020

The Year of Fear

In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
Psalm 56:4

If any word can describe 2020 so far it is fear. This has
been a fearful year. Fear of a virus. Fear of the economic consequences of shutting down an economy for several months. Fear of saying the wrong thing on social media can get you canceled. Fear of the social unrest going on our streets. 

I don't know about you but I'm tired of all the fear. The Bible tells us, "Be strong, do not fear!" A life lived in fear is not much of a life. I don't want to live my life in a bubble. I don't want to live my life afraid I may say the wrong thing.

I encourage us to evaluate the things that make us anxious and fearful and how we can deal with them. It might mean cutting down on social media. Getting on our knees to pray when we have those anxious thoughts. 

When the Bible talks about fear it usually contrasts it with courage. In a world living in fear, let's show others what courage looks like.