Saturday, January 14, 2006

Education in America

Last night on "20/20" aired a great piece done by John Stossel about our education system.
That was great journalism!!!!
They need to re-air it several times.
It highlights enormous problems.
It is embarrassing that such a super power like America has such a horrible education system.
In the show Belgium students were ridiculing our students.
One even flat out called us stupid.
Stossel suggests that parents should have more choices when sending their children to school.
I went to a pretty bad public high school so this show really enticed me.
I would come home from school many times and just felt I wasted my time.
I think America needs to put a much more higher value on our education.
Education and poverty are topics that are ignored by many and
needs to be a priority.



2 comments:

Teresa said...

Thank for your insight Chris.
I agree with the points you made.

Kyle said...

Whilte tax credits and free market choice can play a role in healthy reform, the level of parental involvement needs its own reformation. Over the years, parental involvement has decreased considerably.

I am not talking about parents complaining about what is not right; rather, parents need to be informed about, active with, and repsonsible for their children as a healthy part of "educational" reform.

I like John Stossel's reporting. He makes a point. Whether we do anything about it or not is up to us, the citizens, the parents, and the educators.