Thursday, August 9, 2007

Role model

A Fox News article discusses the consequences of the
"sexualization of girls." Researchers found a "Girls Gone Wild"
effect on young girls who post nude photos of themselves online.
Here are the mental health issues mentioned in the article
that this oversexualization can lead to:

Cognitive and Emotional Consequences
: Sexualization and
objectification undermine a person’s confidence in and comfort
with her own body, leading to emotional and self-image problems,
such as shame and anxiety.
Mental and Physical Health: Research links sexualization with
three of the most common mental health problems diagnosed in girls
and women—eating disorders, low self-esteem, and depression or
depressed mood.
Sexual Development: Research suggests that the sexualization
of girls has negative consequences on girls’ ability to develop a healthy
sexual self-image.

It is disturbing that so many females think that the only value they
have is their outward appearance. As a young woman I've always
gone against this trend. I want to be a woman of substance.
When I talk about the issues of our day I want people to listen to
what I have to say. Women throughout history and even today have
suffered too long and hard to get our voices heard. I don't want to undo
the all the work that has been done and be reduced to such superficiality.

The article also talks about bad role models like Paris Hilton and Britney
Spears. I'm the same age as Britney Spears. I remember when she
first came out with her first video. Back then I never (I guess I was
too young) thought of the possible consequences of young girls dressing
provocatively at such a young age. When your 16, you don't think 16 is all
that young. You think you are an adult and want to dress cool. With what
this article is saying I don't think it is unfair to speculate that perhaps Spears's
recent and very public mental breakdowns are related to her sexy persona
at such a young age.

No comments: