Friday, October 5, 2007

Houston, we have a perception problem

This is from the Barna Web site:

"A new study by The Barna Group conducted among 16
to 29-year-olds shows that a new generation is more
skeptical of and resistant to Christianity than were
people of the same age just a decade ago."

The study also find these are the common negative perceptions
young people have of Christians:

1. judgmental
2. hypocritical
3. old-fashioned
4. and too involved in politics

It is obviously that I'm guilty of number four. I, however, try
not to defend my political beliefs by using my personal religious
beliefs. I try to keep them separate as much as possible.

We can speculate to why this image of Christians persist but I think the important
thing is to try to change them. In of one my communication courses in undergrad,
my professor said something like, "It doesn't matter why a person interprets
the message you send a certain way, the important part is how they received
it." So it doesn't matter if young people's perceptions are accurate but instead what's
pertinent is the message they are indeed getting and something needs to be done
about it. The Church needs major public relations gurus. Um, maybe Christians
should step up and fill the position. Also, I think it might have something to do with
something I posted earlier this week but that is for another day.

Here is a video to accompany this topic (Hat tip: Think Christian):



P.S. I would like visitors to know I have no control over the Google
ads.

No comments: