Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sleep

For the past few years I've had trouble getting good
sleep. I always feel tired and sluggish because I don't
get enough sleep. I've tried everything and nothing really
seems to help. I've done the reading before going to bed thing
which is good but one of the things I've struggled
with is actually staying asleep and not so much falling
asleep. I've tried sleeping medication but I started to form
a habit and they honestly don't seem to work very well
so I quit that. Melatonin helped for a while but I noticed
I was feeling a little down and then I read that one of the
side affects is depression. No thank you! So I'm not sad
anymore but still sleep deprived.

My brain just has a hard time shutting down before I go to
sleep and apparently while I sleep. I've also tried walking
and trying to get myself physically exhausted and that does
help some. However, its hard to workout when you tired
because of a sleepless night. Now I'm also making sure I turn
off the television and the computer a hour I want to go bed to
see if that helps shut my brain from going a million miles per hour.

So I guess I'm writing this to get some good, healthy tips on
getting a restful sleep. Sleep really does affect your life. It's
hard to get anything done during the day when your a walking
zombie.

2 comments:

Joshua P. Allem said...

I know what you mean about the brain going a million miles per second. What helped me was finding a good political talk show on talkradio. That way, your racing brain kinda takes hold of that broadcast as it then takes over. At least that's what works for me. But only if the political talk show host voices your own opinions. Listening to someone you passionately disagree with at night will keep you up and mad!

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

-don't work midnight shift
-run 6-8 miles every evening
-drinks lots of water
-never eat junk food
-go to bed only when you're tired
-go to bed the same time every night