Friday, November 9, 2007

The Mind


Picture source here


Last night I listened to an interview with the authors of The Spiritual Brain,
Mario D. Beauregard and Denyse O'leary
. In the interview Professor
Beauregard said, "There are many lines of evidence indicating that you
can not reduce mind consciousness and self to electrical and chemical
processes in the brain."

In the interview the scientists give an example of the placebo effect.
They argue that the placebo effects shows beliefs and expectations
can have influence our health. Thus, something immaterial (the mind)
can have an effect on something material (our bodies). When discussing
the placebo effect O'leary said, "Then that means you must in fact a psyche
that can act on your brain, which means that your mind is not your brain.
It proves cause and effect." In short what they are arguing is the mind is
not completely controlled by the brain.

I've never bought the argument by materialists that our thoughts, ideas,
feelings, memory, creativity and emotions are simply a by product of our
brain. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is no mind and body connection.
It's amazing how when one is feeling a little down they can take a walk and
get some fresh air and feel better. There's also psychological disorders
that can be helped by medication. However, I don't think the mind can
completely explained by brain function.

I believe God gave us a private space here on Earth that is ours and only
our, the mind. It's funny before I listened to this interview I just found this
sermon
that focused on the mind. I had never been the Web site before.
Jesus spoke of the mind. He said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul and with all your mind."

No comments: