Monday, December 3, 2007

Hillary and Barack: The Kindergarten Years



If you want to run for the President of the United States of America
you have to be careful what you do and write even if you're just in
Kindergarten because it might get thrown back at you. Today Sen. Barack
Obama said, "I have not been planning to run for President for however
number of years some of the other candidates have been planning for."

The Hillary Clinton campaign, whose candidate is seeking the highest political
office in the free world, responded to Obama's remarks by issuing a press
release that in Kindergarten and then in the third grade he in fact wrote he
wanted to be President. I wish I was making this stuff so I wouldn't stay up all
night tonight thinking about how debased our the American political process
has become. The ironic part is that I once thought, "Who in the world am I
to be blogging about politics, I'm just an unemployed gal from Texas and politics
is important stuff." Apparently, I'm not out of my league by no stretch of the
imagination folks. If campaigns can send out petty press releases like these,
I can give my two cents of my Washington outsider view of politics. Here is
a part of the press release:
In third grade, Senator Obama wrote an essay titled 'I Want
To Be a President.'
His third grade teacher: Fermina Katarina Sinaga "
asked her class to write an essay titled 'My dream: What I want to be in
the future.' Senator Obama wrote 'I want to be a President,' she said."
[The Los Angeles Times, 3/15/07]

In kindergarten, Senator Obama wrote an essay titled 'I Want
to Become President.'
"Iis Darmawan, 63, Senator Obama's kindergarten
teacher, remembers him as an exceptionally tall and curly haired child who
quickly picked up the local language and had sharp math skills. He wrote an
essay titled, 'I Want To Become President,' the teacher said." [AP, 1/25/07 ]
Just when I thought last week's debate made a circus out of our political process
we have a press release from the leading candidate talking about what her
opponent probably wrote in crayons when he was in Kindergarten. I could never
run for political office then because I once got sent to the principals' office when I
was in fifth grade. I must now confess that I wrote this post way too prematurely.

Exit question:
Who has it worst; the person who has the job of writing these ridiculous press releases
for the Clinton campaign or me for blogging about this childish press release ?

1 comment:

Travis said...

Solid post. I'm too conservative to back either Hillary or Barack, but this press release can only help Obama; at least in my opinion.