Saturday, February 16, 2008

It's Hyperbole

I was listening to this by Jordin Sparks featuring Chris Brown
on my drive home:



It's an extremely enjoyable song. However, when listening to the lyrics
I was struck by some of the hyperbole. Here are some of the lyrics:
Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air?

If I should die before I wake
Because you took my breath away
Losing you is like living in a world without
no air, oh

I'm here alone, didn't wanna leave
My heart won't move, it's incomplete
Is there an other way I can make you
understand?

(Hook)
But how
Do you expect me, to live alone with just me?
'Cause my world revolves around you
It's so hard for me to breathe

(Chorus)
Tell me how I'm supposed to breathe with no air?
Can't live, can't breath with no air
That's how I feel whenever ain't there
There's no air, no air
Got me out here in the water so deep
Tell me how you gon' be here without me?
If you ain't here I just can't breathe
There's no air, no air
No air air, No air air
The song is about not being able to live without their loved one. The song
even says that their world revolves around the other person. That kind of
rhetoric is dangerous on so many levels. First, as a Christian I believe no one
or nothing should be put in front of God. It's obsessive and idolatry to put
another person first and foremost in your life. Also, saying that if you don't
have someone you will physically be unable to breathe and might die is not
a sign of a healthy relationship. Would a true love song have such fixation with
the object of affection?

I know there are plenty of other songs with obsessive lyrics, for example this
one (lyrics here):



I know some would say it just a song, so what? I understand. I just felt the need
to call out the rhetoric in this particular song. The thing about music is that it often
repetitive, thus, making the message contained in the song more salient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think love songs without hyperbole actually exist. If they did, I doubt they could make any money. Imagine playing a realistic love song to your dear one on Valentine's day:

"How could I live without you?
Well I guess I could..

I'm sure I'd be really sad for a few weeks,
but after that I'd be okay...

And I'm not saying I want to break up with you or anything, but if it happens, is it okay if I start dating your cute friend?

Because I'm not sure, but I think she was flirting with me the other day..."