Monday, January 19, 2009

Not Rooting for the Downfall

I just finished listening to my favorite talk radio show, The Dennis Prager
Show. A caller told a story of their child being given by their teacher a list
of recommended shows for "unbiased" news, which included The Daily Show
and Real Time with Bill Maher. Prager went on to make the argument the
lost of newspapers, including The New York Times, would not be a good
for our society because as much as conservatives perceive The New York
Times
and other newspapers as biased (and they are), they do not reach
the level of extremity of other "news" sources. (I'm paraphrasing Prager so
those weren't exact words but the idea was his so I want to give him
credit.) I think Prager has a good point.

As we continue to hear news of the newspaper business in drastic decline,
including The New York Times, conservatives should not cheer their demise.
Because people might be replacing The New York Times with Bill Maher,
Jon Stewart, or Keith Olbermann. I don't know know about you but I prefer
people getting their news from The New York Times instead of loud mouth
television anchors.