Friday, July 30, 2021

Where are the High-Minded Discussions on the Left?

I listened to two great conversations this week.

First, Glenn Loury, John McWhorter, and Jason Riley discuss Thomas Sowell's writing. Great intellectual conversation.

The second was Daily Wire Backstage, where the folks of Daily Wire pontificated on current events. 

Whatever you think of the politics of any of the individuals engaging in these discussions, it is hard to deny these are some pretty high-minded, intellectual conversations. No talking points. No superficiality.

I found myself wondering: Where are these types of discussions on the American Left? All the people featured in the above videos are right-leaning (some more so than others). I'm not trying name-call or anything. I know there are some serious intellectuals on the Left. I just don't see them in conversations like this.