Sunday, March 30, 2008

Punishment

This was a poorly worded response by Sen. Obama:

"This is an example where good people can disagree," the Illinois
senator said. "The question then is, are there areas that we can agree
to that everybody can get behind? We can all agree that we want
to reduce teen pregnancies. We can all agree that we want to make
sure that adoption is a viable option."

The exchange appeared to be prompted by Obama's earlier comments
that he does not favor abstinence-only education, but rather comprehensive
sexual education that includes information on abstinence and birth
control.

"Look, I got two daughters — 9 years old and 6 years old," he said.
"I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they
make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby. I
don't want them punished with an STD at age 16, so it doesn't make
sense to not give them information."

Punished with a baby? Really? So you think that teenagers in American don't
know that one of the consequences of having unprotected sex is getting pregnant,
therefore, they shouldn't be 'punished'? I think people in prehistoric times could
probably put two and two together, sex = baby. And I'm sorry we live in the
information age, I'm tired of people saying it's a lack of education. When I read
about a well-off teenager like Jamie Lynn Spears (who has probably had the best
tutors around) is pregnant, I'm not buying the argument anymore.

I don't think having a baby is a punishment, it's being responsible for the life you
brought into the world.

No comments: