Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Inner Urbanite



I've lived in the Lone Star State almost all my life (I lived in
Virginia for two years). I love Texas! What is not to love?
It has nice people, fattening food, warm weather, wide open
spaces, low cost of living (in most places), all types of terrains,
and a church in almost every street corner. Living here is a
political conservative's (like me) dream.

However, I must admit since childhood I've fantasized of being
(dare I say it)..... a New York City urbanite! I guess television and
movies have made me idealize the city life. The skyscrapers,
trendy clothes, crowded streets, and ethnic diversity has always
appealed to me. Oh, and it would nice not having to drive and catch
a cab every once in a while. I'm hoping that one day I will finally stop
talking about moving to NYC and actually do it! Lately I've been even
more anxious to make the move since NYC is the mecca of the publishing
world and broadcast journalism.

I know my yearning is probably a case of 'the grass is greener on the other
side' syndrome. Although, New York City is known more for miles of
concrete than grass; I digress. I would at least like to experience
the city life even for a short time. Ironically, Los Angeles has never really
caught my attention even though it too is a media and entertainment hot
spot. Perhaps it is because I already live in a warm climate.

Exit questions: What do you like and dislike about where you live?
Is
there a place you've been itching to move to?

3 comments:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

Virginia is cool and the weather is warm, but there are no mountains here, nor wide open spaces like. . .say Saskatchewan.

Saskatchewan or Montana (maybe Montana) would be great, but they're too cold.

Washington is ideal. Washington State, that is, not D.C.

Anonymous said...

For 10 years since I left university, I've lived in London, which - on the surface - is an amazingly vibrant and diverse place to live.
But I've hated living here for years, and next year we finally get a chance to move out, when my wife finishes a four year course she's been doing here.
I yearn for hills and wilderness. We might move to the South Downs, close to London and our family and friends - or to Vancouver Island, where my sister is, or to Scotland. But I can't see any move being for ever, or even more than a few years. I like the idea of moving around, discovering and getting to know new places and people.
I've spent some time in New York, and it's very like London, only faster, more intense (if that's possible). LA I thought was hell! The only city I'd really like to live in at this point in my life is San Francisco. I love it there. But knowing me, I'd probably go nuts after a couple of months and want to go somewhere else...!

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

I meant to say North Dakota, not Montana twice. Alaska would be something as well. I'd have to get a good log furnace.